Income Protection You Can Depend On!
Whether you have a family or are a team of one, the bills don’t stop just because You are sidelined with an accidental injury. When accidents happen, Income Protector can help by providing monthly benefits to assist You with bill payments and general expenses. Don’t let the unexpected stop You in your tracks. We hope an accident never happens, but if it does, it’s better to be prepared. Incomeprotector can be an important part of Your overall game plan of protection.
How Income Protector Works
Protection for up to 12 months
IncomeProtector pays you monthly Benefits if you become Totally Disabled while You are Actively at Work. Your Monthly Total Disability Benefit will begin on the first day following Your chosen Elimination Period. We will pay You the lesser of the selected Monthly Total Disability Benefit ($500, $1,000 or $1,500) or 60% of Your Prior Monthly Income. *
We will pay 1/30 of the Monthly Total Disability Benefit otherwise payable for each day of a Period of Total Disability that is less than a full month. The Total Disability Period must commence within 30 days of the Injury which caused Your Total Disability.
Protection for future occurrences
Once your Period of Total Disability ends for which we have paid Benefits, and You become Totally disabled again within 12 months from the same or related cause, We will consider it a continuation of the prior Period of Total disability. If You have been Actively at Work for more than twelve (12) consecutive months and once again become Totally Disabled, We will consider it a new Period of Total Disability.
Protection outside the U.S.
IncomeProtector offers up to three months coverage for any Total Disability sustained or continued outside the United States, Canada or Mexico. If You remain Totally Disabled upon returning to any of these countries, Your Benefits will resume up to the maximum benefit period as long as You remain Totally Disabled.
Premium Rate Adjustment
We will not raise Your premium rates on an individual basis due to Your personal claims experience. We may raise Your premium rates on Your Renewal Date based on Your Renewal Premium Class for all Certificates in Your state.
Mandatory Dispute Resolution
The Certificate contains Mandatory Dispute Resolution Procedures for the prompt, fair and efficient resolution of any Dispute. This provision provides for the parties to first attempt to achieve resolution of any Dispute through negotiation. If the parties cannot reach an agreement through negotiation, this provision provides for resolution to be then attempted through non-binding mediation. Finally, if the parties cannot reach an agreement through mediation, this provision provides for a neutral arbitrator to assist the parties with resolution through binding arbitration.
Arbitration does not apply to the following states: Arkansas, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas, and South Carolina.
Termination and Renewability
An applicable Insured’s coverage ends on the earlier of the following:
- the due date of any unpaid Renewal Premium, subject to the grace period; or
- the date We receive due proof that fraud or intentional misrepresentation of material fact existed in the application for Your coverage under the Certificate or in a claim for Benefits; or
- the date You terminate coverage by notifying Us of the date You desire coverage to terminate; or the premium due date in the month following Your attainment of age 68; or
- the premium due date in the month following the date the Certificate is terminated in which case You will be given thirty-one (31) days prior written notice of the termination, mailed to Your last known address; or
- We are required by the order of an appropriate regulatory authority to non-renew or cancel the Group Short Term Accident Disability Income Insurance Policy or a Class under the Group Short Term Accident Disability Income Insurance Policy; or
- We elect to discontinue offering short term accident disability income coverage to all individuals in Your state who are covered under the same coverage form as this Certificate, in which case You will be given a minimum of thirty-one (31) days prior written notice of the termination, mailed to Your last known address.
Non-Covered Expenses at a Glance
No Benefits shall be payable under the Certificate for any loss caused by, in whole or in part, contributed to or resulting from, directly or indirectly, any of the following incidents, events, occurrences or activities involving any Insured:
- Injury due to any act of war (whether declared or undeclared);
- intentionally self-inflicted Injury;
- suicide or any suicide attempt while sane or insane;
- serving in one of the branches of the armed forces of any foreign country or any international authority;
- an Injury occurring outside the borders of the United States of America or its territories except as provided in the Foreign Travel Benefit provision of the Certificate;
- any Injury while engaging, committing, or attempting to commit a felony or illegal occupation or while being arrested or incarcerated;
- participation in hang gliding, paragliding, hot air ballooning or any other form of aviation, except as a fare-paying passenger traveling on a regularly scheduled commercial airline flight;
- participating, as driver or passenger, in any competition, race or speed contest, including sanctioned practice thereof, of any land or water vehicle;
- engaging in bungee jumping, parachuting, rock climbing, parasailing, parakiting, surfing, mountaineering, skateboarding, or any other hazardous avocation;
- participation in rodeo or equestrian events, semi-professional or professional sports or any other hazardous activity for wage, compensation, or profit;
- participating in intercollegiate sports or club sports activities;
- Injuries from raising, caring, handling or working with dangerous animals;
- Mental and Emotional Disorders;
- an Insured being intoxicated or under the influence of alcohol or any drug, narcotic or hallucinogens unless administered via a prescription and on the advice of a Provider, and taken in accordance with the limits of such advice. An Insured is conclusively determined to be intoxicated by drug or alcohol if: (i) a chemical test administered in the jurisdiction where either the Accident occurred or the Insured was medically treated is at or above the legal limit set by that jurisdiction; or (ii) the level of alcohol or drug was such that a person’s coordination and/or ability to reason was impaired, regardless of the legal limit set by that jurisdiction;
- the unintended or accidental results of any surgery or operation performed either for cosmetic purposes or in an attempt to surgically treat any sickness;
- the unintended or accidental result of any procedure, surgery or operation performed for cosmetic purpose or in an attempt to surgically treat any sickness, or any elective procedures not medically necessary, including but not limited to organ donation and elective sterilization;
- intentional inhalation or ingestion of any poison, gas or fumes;
- the operation by an Insured of any motor vehicle without the permission/consent of the owner of such vehicle;
- the operation by an Insured of any motor vehicle without a valid operator’s license/permit;
- bacterial or viral infection, except such infection occurring with or through a cut or wound in the skin sustained in an Accident or the accidental ingestion of contaminated material;
- participating as a driver or passenger on a motorcycle, or an off-road or ATV vehicle;
- actively serving in any armed forces, including National Guard or Army Reserves; and
- Injuries from being arrested or incarcerated or caused while incarcerated in penal institution or government detention facility.
* See Certificate for details. If Total Disability is caused by more than one (1) Injury, We will pay as if the Total Disability was caused by only one (1) Injury.